Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Spicy Chicken Livers



Chicken livers are an easy and economical way to get a good dose of iron. I have had to monitor my iron levels since I was a little girl and when I feel low on iron, I have a bit of liver. It always makes me feel better. This recipe is easy, highly nutritious, and super delicious.

1/2 pound of chicken livers, with gizzards if desired
1 tablespoon of Ghee (clarified butter), or use regular butter or oil
3-4 very ripe tomatoes, chopped roughly
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
Hot paprika or cayenne pepper, few shakes - to your taste

In a small saucepan, melt the Ghee; add chicken livers. Sauté very slowly over low heat. When the pink is nearly gone, cover the pan and let the juices steam a bit. Add the ripe tomatoes and stir gently to release its juice; add tomato paste, salt, pepper and paprika. Stir to incorporate. The sauce will thicken. Cover and simmer for a few more minutes. Stir very gently occasionally.

Serve this over rice, cooked vegetables, and salad.

No comments: